Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#298227 - 23/05/2007 14:16 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I guess I have to agree with you, Bitt. I was being kind, and hoping I could fool myself into liking the episode, but you're basically expressing all the things that left me unsatisfied. None of the events surrounding the finale made sense given what came before. And you're right, I think the future episode is moot at this point, which is a terrible shame because that one episode gave me such faith in the show, and prompted me to start discussing it like crazy here.

As for this:
Quote:
In the Days of Future Past episode, Mr. Bennett says that she was in hiding and that people didn't know she was alive. It's possible that he put her in hiding immediately after she was "killed" in that timeline.

That makes sense, but if that's the case, I don't see any indication that Hiro changed this outcome either. That's what bothers me the most. Hiro should be the sole cause of avoiding the disaster, but only using whatever actions he took following the "future episode." As far as I could see, he had no meaningful interactions with any of the characters at all, let alone something that would affect the outcome.

The more I think about the episode, the more of a mess it becomes. People worry that the writers for Lost don't know where the overall story is going. The writers for Heroes apparently fly by the seat of their pants from episode to episode, lucking out when continuity shows its self.

#298228 - 23/05/2007 15:34 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, they kind of implied that Nathan meeting Claire was what made him try to stop the bomb. In the future episode, Claire hadn't met Nathan when she met Sylar masquerading as President Nathan. (Of course, that means that my whole notion that the future episode is not an alternate timeline is wrong, as she clearly has met him.) And having Peter save the cheerleader indirectly leads to Nathan meeting Claire.

Of course, what you may be saying is that Hiro visited the future, leaving after Claire had been saved, and arriving after future-Hiro had already visited Peter in the "past". So what actions were taken between the time that Hiro arrived back in our time and the last episode that changed the future. If nothing, and I agree that there doesn't seem to be anything, then that means that Hiro visited a future that had branched off before he left, effectively portaging to a different time stream. So can Hiro visit alternate timelines?

I suppose the one thing you might be able to claim is that Hiro brought Sylar down long enough for Peter to escape with Nathan. Of course, future-Hiro stabbed him, too. And we know he didn't have Claire's healing power to save him.

Hmm. Assuming that future-Hiro did stab him in the same way at the same time, he would have known that it was Peter that was about to explode and that making sure that Sylar was dead would have made no difference. He was incapacitated enough that he couldn't have made a difference in those few minutes anyway. So there may be another bomb event that future-Hiro was trying to prevent. This actually is starting to point to the fact that this might have been a false ending.

#298229 - 23/05/2007 17:04 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yes, what you said was what I was trying to say poorly

Quote:
This actually is starting to point to the fact that this might have been a false ending.

In the future, didn't they say the bomb happened the day after the election? The finale ended the night after the election. Unless it happened in the next 20 minutes, it seems there's a discrepancy.

And is it just me, or did it feel odd that there were apparently no people on the streets of NYC at night? Have they been to NYC?

Oh, and as for the thing with Richard Roundtree, I definitely think that's his power, not Peter's. Nobody else noticed Peter, which could mean he was invisible but they didn't show that and I think Peter said something when Simone and Past Peter were in that greenhouse. I did think that scene was pretty cool, though. I liked that Peter's mother was wrong about him. I still really want to know what her power is, though. I'm convinced she has one.

So does anyone have a theory yet as to WHY Peter exploded? Am I the only one who doesn't think that was clear? Where's Hugo? Maybe we're just waiting for people to get caught up with their Tivos

#298230 - 23/05/2007 17:09 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I still really want to know what her power is, though.

I'm still convinced that it's the ability to have visions of the future. Why else would Peter have had that ability?

#298231 - 23/05/2007 17:16 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
I still really want to know what her power is, though.

I'm still convinced that it's the ability to have visions of the future. Why else would Peter have had that ability?

Interesting. The writers seem to have wanted to avoid giving the same power to multiple people, at least ones that are so similar, but perhaps since Isaac is dead and we don't know for sure if she has that power, they feel it doesn't overlap too much. She certainly was at Peter's bedside a lot around the time it happened. It also explains her insistence that the bomb would occur.

At the very most, I would guess she has dreams similar to the ones Peter had. I always thought his dream was more impressionistic than completely accurate. It certainly had that look and feel to it. Plus Claude was nowhere to be seen in the finale.

#298232 - 23/05/2007 17:57 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The writers seem to have wanted to avoid giving the same power to multiple people, at least ones that are so similar

I disagree. There seem to be a lot of specifically intended twin powers. Silar/Peter. Micah/Wireless(Hana). Claire/Linderman. Claire's mom/Ted.

#298233 - 23/05/2007 18:45 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
The writers seem to have wanted to avoid giving the same power to multiple people, at least ones that are so similar

I disagree. There seem to be a lot of specifically intended twin powers. Silar/Peter. Micah/Wireless(Hana). Claire/Linderman. Claire's mom/Ted.

I know what you mean, and I agree. I just felt those two would be a little different. Plus, I see the characters in those pairings as being similar types of characters, whereas Isaac and Mrs. Petrelli don't have a lot in common on any level.

I must have missed something, though. Claire's mom?

#298234 - 23/05/2007 19:22 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
That is one thing I have wondered. Linderman said he was responsible for Niki & DL getting together. Perhaps Nathan's mom is somehow responsible for Nathan getting together with Claire's mom, even if for a short time, so that Claire would be born. We do know that the Petrelli's mother and Linderman were working together.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#298235 - 23/05/2007 19:33 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Claire's birth mom with the pyrokinesis.

#298236 - 23/05/2007 21:11 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

D'oh! I forgot about that. She was barely on the show.

#298237 - 24/05/2007 00:18 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:

Yay, Bitt! First time in a while someone has used a word never before seen on this bbs.

It would be interesting to see a list of the top 10 posters who have been the first to use a word. Have to disallow any posts made in the first couple of weeks, since whoever made the very first post would get credit for each and every unique word in the post. I've no idea how to do such a thing, though...

I think Rob Schofield should get extra credit for first using the word "hygroscopic" nearly seven years ago.

tanstaafl.

#298238 - 25/05/2007 02:09 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: tanstaafl.]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Sorry it took me so long to join in. It's been a busy week. Let's see...

We got a couple heaping gobs of foreshadowing for next season, starting with Hiro's trip back in time to see the Japanese warlord who originally wielded his cool sword. Unclear what his power is, but "inducing eclipses" seems pretty weak as a power for a badass warlord. This trip is clearly a big part of Hiro learning to become hardcore with his sword. Meanwhile, in the future, the "tracking system" girl clued us into next season's presumed bad-guy, even worse than Sylar: "he sees me when I look for him." Also, we have the bloody trail of what looks like the body of Sylar being dragged into a manhole cover. By whom? Dunno. Finally, we're left with a stack of "so, did he die or not?" questions: D.L., Parkman, and Nathan. Sylar is presumably very, very dead. Quoth Beeman's Blog: "Some of the characters you have come to know and love, in fact, DID die last night."

Presumably, another big theme of the next season will be telling us the story of the previous generation of heroes, including Linderman, Momma Petrelli, and so on. This will also presumably include the as-yet unseen big creepy dude.

Nitpicking:

Forget about Peter being lame and unable to control himself. He's always lame. Sylar was the really lame guy. The only power he used in the grand finale was his telekinesis. He's collected powers all damn season. He can melt metal to slag (e.g., Hiro's blade). He can freeze things. He didn't do any of that, even though he knew where he was going and that it was the climactic moment.

#298239 - 25/05/2007 19:44 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Also, we have the bloody trail of what looks like the body of Sylar being dragged into a manhole cover. By whom?

Maybe it's just me, but I got the impression that he dragged himself, not that someone dragged him. I could be wrong, though.

#298240 - 25/05/2007 19:59 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: wfaulk]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
Quote:
Also, we have the bloody trail of what looks like the body of Sylar being dragged into a manhole cover. By whom?

Maybe it's just me, but I got the impression that he dragged himself, not that someone dragged him. I could be wrong, though.

Mine too, but, "Who dragged the body away?" is equally unpresumptious.

#298241 - 29/05/2007 12:56 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: DWallach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I don't think I have much new to add to what's already been mentioned about the finale. I have some of the same questions and concerns in fact.

Sylar broke Hiro's sword by freezing it, not melting it. If I had his powers, I'd probably use the telekenesis most often as well. You don't have to be in physical contact with something to use it and it works in any direction without tying up your own body/hands. What one might wonder is why Sylar has never used that power to fly or at least levitate.

From earlier interviews and quotes from producers, I would assume the Sylar storyline is pretty much done along with the whole New York meltdown arc. I haven't read the recent stuff to to find out if my expectations should change.

My biggest disappointment with the finale was a lack of action sequences. I recognise the show is primarily character driven like the movie Unbreakable, but I was hoping for a little more punch in the last episode.

Backtracking... The reason for the future in the future episode was because Hiro had teleported to the future and had not been around to do what he was supposed to do in the past. Of course, as people have brought up, much of what happened in the past did so without his influence. Enough of which you would think would have prevented the future from turning out precisely as it did in that episiode. The Hiro of the future who first visited Peter in the subway was unable to kill Sylar because Sylar had killed and obtained Claire's powers in that timeline.

I'm assuming the writers intended Peter to be undergoing some uncontrolled meltdown at the end of the finale and could not weild any power at all. It was somewhat obvious he was in distress, but they could have made it more obvious that he was trying to do something other than bring Ted's nuclear ability under control.

Now, any bets on how close Peter has to be to someone to absorb their powers? Does he now have Hiro, Molly, Micah and DL's powers? I'm guessing no, at least for the last three.

#298242 - 29/05/2007 14:20 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Now, any bets on how close Peter has to be to someone to absorb their powers? Does he now have Hiro, Molly, Micah and DL's powers? I'm guessing no, at least for the last three.

I was wondering the same thing!

From what I've gathered, many people have been let down by the finale. Here's hoping the next season helps to put it in context.

Quote:
From earlier interviews and quotes from producers, I would assume the Sylar storyline is pretty much done along with the whole New York meltdown arc. I haven't read the recent stuff to to find out if my expectations should change.

If that's the case, then the cliched "the bad guy survives" moment of the finale is even more lame.

#298243 - 29/05/2007 14:57 Re: [spoilers] Heroes doesn't suck [/spoilers] [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I read that the actor portraying Sylar is signed up to be a regular for the next season, so I doubt that the Sylar storyline is done.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3